Saturday, May 12, 2007

Environmental Influences

Every so often I have to get away from it all. Right now I am in Arizona visiting family, basking in the sun and enjoying the change of pace. When I begin to absorb the negative environment - people and work conditions - it affects my attitude and focus on where I am going by drawing me into the muck like a sponge. Time away is like using a cleanser to get the stains out of the kitchen sink. The more regularly you use it the easier it is to come clean and recapture the shine.

I am working on a new workshop and have a short deadline for the first run through. Plenty of ideas were swimming around in my head but nothing was spilling out onto the page (computer screen, that is.) My energy was being sapped by the negative comments and attitudes (including my own) at work. Within hours of starting this trip I became clearer on a structure and format. In one session I wrote a draft outline that will actually develop into a series of four workshops, giving more value to all who attend. I was able to continue coaching clients - cell phones are wonderful.

Have you ever rinsed and wrung out a sponge, the one's with an outer cover for scrubbing, by the kitchen sink? It is amazing how much stuff comes out even if the surface didn't look that bad. That's how our negative environment can soak into us leaving an facade of cheerfulness while inside we are sloshing in sludge. It is hard to think about your future, let alone take action, when your head is in the old game of life. Like the dirty sponge, you can't absorb anything until you get rid of the grease and grime of time.

Plan time for yourself to get away - an evening, a day, a weekend - and wring the sludge out of your sponge. Give yourself a clean sponge and soak up some energy to make confident career choices.

Coach

No comments: