Monday, June 11, 2007

Technorati link - networking for jobs

Hey sports fans. I am now linked to Technorati. It is all part of my own career transitioning that you are observing firsthand. Of course getting a job takes more than technology. It takes personal relationships, built over time, developing trust and respect.

"How?" you say. You start by networking with your friends and contacts. Let them know you are looking for a job. If you know them well they are probably aware of your skills and may have ideas about possible opportunities. Get some phone numbers and call to schedule informational interviews. Now this requires some integrity. You really are just conducting informational interviews at this stage. This is where you find out about the many variations on a theme that might allow you to work in your preferred area with or without specific training or education.

Why is that important? We'll talk about that next time.

Meanwhile I am anxiously awaiting the morning, specifically 10:00 to find out if my Palm Treo (which apparently fell out of the pocket on my fleece vest this morning) has turned up in the Seattle Metro lost and found. The biggest loss is the pictures on the phone that I had not yet backed up on other media and the SD card with soooo much information and photos on it. I can recreate my contact list but I sure hate to lose the other stuff.

My next confident career choice may be a new Treo - and a holster!

Coach

No comments: